Monday, June 27, 2011

a worthwhile slow cooker chicken recipe---can it be?!

Oh yes it can. Tonight we had this pulled jerk chicken, and it was outstanding. I have really no prior experience either eating or cooking Jamaican/Caribbean food---I doubt it was real authentic to serve the meat on hamburger buns---but looking at the ingredient list I thought the flavors sounded like they were worth a try. Besides that it was a very convenient and inexpensive recipe: I already had almost all of the marinade (the bulk of the recipe) ingredients in my pantry and fridge. The spiciness level was about a 5/10 to me; if you don't like heat you'll want to at least take the seeds out of the chile (I used habanero) before slicing into rounds, to avoid biting into one later. I also counted how many rounds I made before putting them in, so I could be sure to pull them out at the end.

Further notes: I halved the recipe but otherwise stuck to it pretty closely. My chicken was falling off the bone within 5 hours, and was possibly done a good while before that. I only turned the pieces once, but I think if you're making the full recipe with 4 lbs. of chicken that step is more important. For once I had no fresh cilantro on hand, and I never have fresh thyme, so I omitted both without trying to substitute. Oh, and "freshly squeezed orange juice"---give me a break. I don't think my dish suffered too much from the stale old Tropicana I used.

Didn't take a final result photo, but at least here's the view from the top of the slow cooker after putting everything in:



With the sandwiches I made yuca fries based off a couple of internet recipes, which did not turn out as well as I hoped. I might have crowded the pot because the oil temperature dropped way low for way too long after I added the fries, and I think it had an adverse effect on their texture. Kind of sad, and of course ketchup was no match for that mysterious spicy green sauce they serve with these at Papi's. Oh well, frozen yuca is cheap, so I'll have to try again with a little more research someday soon.

No comments: