Thursday, May 26, 2011

domestic woes

Warning: this post contains classic spoiled-princess bitching about a luxury appliance being temporarily out of order. People with a strong work ethic and/or general sense of gratitude should pass on by.

After writing that I feel much less inclined to complain about how not having a dishwasher for a couple weeks affects me. But the fact is, having to personally scrub every last utensil in hot water after using it dissuades me rather forcefully from my usual culinary ambitions, so it doesn't seem entirely irrelevant to "mention" it here...

My "starter kitchen" had no dishwasher and barely any counterspace around the sink to stack all the dishes, and other than noting that homemade meals and incidental baking projects really did take a lot of time when you factored in the clean-up, I did just fine for six months or so. This is clearly a case of having been spoiled by two years of that wonderful feeling I get when, upon seeing the post-dinner mess of plates, spatulas, skillets, measuring spoons, measuring cups (I am primarily a baker by "personality," so these things feature often in everyday cooking as well), etc... the vast majority of it requires nothing more than to be picked up and placed squarely in the dishwasher. O what a different sentiment overtakes me when I survey the counters after dinner and feel the burden of a half hour of tedium settling onto my shoulders...

Enough of the poetry. I have to go wash the dishes. Tonight we had Szechuan green beans over rice, an all-time favorite from Best International Recipe. It uses a little ground pork and a lot of flavorful ingredients for the sauce, chiefly sherry, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic. I finally bought white pepper and used that for the first time as specified, and I think it really did give it more depth (and definitely more of a kick). Yum. I made pastry cream yesterday, just because, and chopped up some peaches to serve with that for dessert.

No comments: