Friday, January 21, 2011

week in review

Monday I made spiced carrot soup with shrimp from CI's Restaurant Favorites, a first course I typically make into a main with a salad and bread; some of the shrimp I cleaned were mushy and kind of ruined the meal for me, because I was worried about their overall freshness (they were from Publix, which at least hasn't utterly scared me off from the seafood dept like Kroger has). Tuesday I made a rather nice salad, the highlight of which was a roasted garlic dressing that I wasn't anticipating would be so good. It's from CI's Best Slow & Easy cookbook, I think, and I had saved it on my computer back when I had it checked out from the library. So I poached some chicken for that and threw in carrots, pepitas, diced (roughly) hard-boiled egg, and bacon, the great salad enhancer. It was good and M approved it even as a main. For Wednesday I fell back on breakfast, as it was M's first day of evening classes: waffles, sausage and eggs. Not the healthiest but we don't eat like that extremely often. A guy who writes at Front Porch Republic has argued against breakfast because sleeping should not count as fasting. :D I agree, it's rather stupid that our bodies demand food as soon as we rouse ourselves from doing absolutely nothing. But makinig up for skipping breakfast by having it for dinner---I'm on board with that.

No comments: