Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Spicy sweet potato coconut soup

Last winter I was flipping through Parade for the only reason I ever flip through Parade: the inspiring celebrity interviews. Not. I look through it in case of coupons (once I got one for a free McDonald's coffee drink that wasn't half bad) and throw it out, disdainfully passing over any other content---especially the awful recipes "developed" by the latest celebrity with a cookbook. Not even celebrity chefs, just celebrities who used their image to "write" useless cookbooks that might make them some much-needed extra cash... Anyway, once last year there was a column with recipes from Bobby Flay, who is legit enough for me, and since this soup was based on my favorite fall vegetable, I made it. I recall my husband enthusiastically approving it, while I was more mild in my praise, only noting beside the recipe that it "had potential." So last week I found myself with sweet potatoes and cool-ish weather, and thought I'd try and develop that potential.

Probably the biggest mistake I made the first time around was substituting light coconut milk. This time I thought I'd just try adding less full-fat coconut milk, which I could always increase if needed, and I found that 2/3 the original amount did the trick.

Spicy Sweet Potato-Coconut Soup
Yield: about 6 first-course servings
adapted from Bobby Flay

2 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
1 small onion, diced small
1 (2") piece fresh ginger, grated
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium canned chicken broth
1/2 c. water
1 to 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice, plus 1/2 of a small sweet potato, peeled and diced small, divided
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
1 c. coconut milk (do not substitute light; Chaokoh and Thai Kitchen are my favorite brands)
1 Tbsp. honey
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter

1. Heat 1 1/2 Tbsp. of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion and ginger paste until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the 1/4 tsp. pepper flakes and cook just til fragrant, then stir in stock and water. Bring to a boil, then add the diced sweet potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are soft, about 20-30 mins depending on how large you cut them. (I hate cutting sweet potatoes so my cubes tend to be big and take at least 25 mins.)

2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp. of oil with the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute the 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes til fragrant, then add the small diced sweet potato. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally until softened, about 15 minutes. Uncover and increase heat to medium-high. Stirring often, brown potatoes on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl, season with salt and pepper, and stir in the cilantro.

3. After letting the hot potato/stock mixture cool for 5 minutes, transfer to a blender in batches and puree. Return to the empty saucepan and add the coconut milk, honey, and cinnamon; simmer on low til slightly thickened and warmed through. Season to taste, adding more pepper flakes or salt if needed. Serve with the diced potato relish.

No comments: