Friday, March 25, 2011

Roasted Banana Ice Cream

Another David Lebovitz ice cream recipe, just mixed together on a whim with the perfectly ripe bananas I brought home from the farmer's market, and enriched with some of the overflowing half-and-half in the fridge rather than all whole milk (which is a very lean ice cream).
 
Pre-freezing verdict:
Whoaaaaaaaaa.

Update after it's properly become ice cream, and doused in chocolate sauce, will go here. I can't imagine my impression will change much.

Okay, update: I can't say this ice cream completely lived up to the unbelievable smell that permeated the house as the bananas were roasting with brown sugar and butter. However, that was a very high standard. It had a great flavor for such a light ice cream, and my only real problem with it was the way it froze into a rock unlike any ice cream I've made yet. I don't know if that's a function of the lower fat percentage or what, but I broke my plastic container trying to force a scoop out after it had been sitting on the counter for 10 minutes already. So, I give it a 6/10. Perfectly decent ice cream, and I'd love to try it again with the addition of some rum, as alcohol would help it freeze more softly, not to mention the obvious flavor pairing there.

No comments: